Care Home: Otterburn
Location: Birmingham (B14 6QX)
Contract type: 20 hours - part time hours available
Shifts Available: Flexible (Incl. weekends and evenings)
Rate/Salary: Up to £9.50 ph.
CQC Rating: Good (26-Apr-19)
About Exemplar Health Care:
We have over 20 years of experience providing exceptional specialist nursing care for adults living with complex and high acuity needs. We started our journey as a training company and have grown into one of the country’s leading providers of adult specialist care, with over 35 complex needs care homes in England.
Our vision is that adults living with complex needs can access outstanding specialist care and support, in a community-based home that’s close to their family and friends, and that focuses on their personal goals and outcomes. Our person-centred care is the bedrock for maximising independence, building everyday living skills and empowering people to live as fulfilled lives as possible.
Our mission is to make every day better for the people we support and our colleagues. We’re proud of the culture that we’ve created at Exemplar Health Care, which is underpinned by our vision, mission and values.
In this role, you’ll usually work in the same team and with the same service users to ensure continuity of care. This means that you’ll see the difference you make each and every day.
Otterburn supports 30 adults living with complex mental health needs, neuro-disabilities and physical disabilities.
The home has three ten-bed units, which gives it a homely and welcoming feel.
Otterburn is rated ‘Good’ with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and has an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 on carehome.co.uk.
Otterburn's latest CQC report can be found here: https://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-168465808
To take a virtual tour of Otterburn click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Zx9YaUlaw
About the role
The post holder will function as part of an integrated therapy and activities team working closely with the Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Activities Team as well as the nursing and care colleagues. You will assist with the implementation of rehabilitation and activity programmes, providing support in direct care delivery where required to enable a therapeutic and supportive culture to flourish within a high functioning team environment, therefore experience in a similar role would be advantageous.
- Planning facilitating, and contributing to the provision of a flexible, service user centred programme of therapeutic activities, with a skills, rehabilitation and recovery focus, for individuals and groups of service users
- Providing high quality care to all Service Users in accordance with individual care plans, guidelines and rehabilitation programmes
- Delivering specialised rehabilitative, skills-based work, delegated as part of an individual’s specific support plan, to enable service users to achieve their goals and aspirations in relation to their optimal performance in self-care, leisure and productivity.
- Championing service users’ rights for social inclusion and working with the nursing team to optimise opportunities for this
- Promote physical health through activity and support other team members to expand the opportunities for activities that promote recovery and wellbeing
- Keep accurate records and produce summary reports ahead of service user review meetings which include information about participation, engagement and measured outcomes.
- Contribute to professional review meetings to provide feedback regarding outcomes following participation in therapeutic activity programmes
- Adhere to all organisations policies at all times
- Carry out other duties as will, from time to time, be directed
Clinical and therapeutic
- Have an understanding of the needs of individuals with a disability
- Respect the privacy, dignity, uniqueness and contribution of all Service Users
- Work as part of a team providing a range of physical and mental health services to positively promote the maintenance and development of skills through a process of rehabilitation, recovery and social inclusion strategies focussed on the direct needs of service user.
- Implement specific aspects of the treatment and support plan as directed by the therapy and nursing team.
- Provide a range of therapeutic activities - graded to reflect service user choice, ability, limitations, stage of recovery, and stage of life - enabling and guiding individuals to achieve their optimal performance and personal goals.
- Work effectively as a member of the team to provide a range of unit or community-based activities that develop independence and skills, promote recovery and wellbeing and that encourage service users’ participation in ‘ordinary’ community social and leisure activities
- Provide regular and practical support to service users in developing optimal independence and maintaining dignity and self-respect. This may include support with tasks for daily living and home management e.g., budgets, cooking, cleaning and self-care.
- Contribute information and observations and provide structured feedback on service users’ functioning to inform standardised assessments and outcome measures on behalf of the nursing team, implement and evaluate agreed therapy interventions that support the service user to achieve agreed goals.
- Support and contribute to the completion of risk assessments and contribute to provision of activities and environmental adaptation to mitigate some of these risks
- Support the wider staff team in planning and providing a range of activities that promote recovery, independence, and social inclusion and encourage the wider team to adopt therapeutic approaches in the use of daily activities.
Ideally, we would like you to have a QCF (NVQ) Level 2 in Health & Social Care
A full driving licence is a MUST
A strong knowledge of the local community
As a Therapy Assistant at Ribble View, there are lots of opportunities to do continuing professional development and progress in your career if you wish.
We offer a range of in-house and external training programmes, including:
- A bespoke induction including the Care Certificate
- Mandatory and statutory training (MAST) to refresh your skills
- Bronze, silver and gold awards as part of our Life Skills Toolkit
- Apprenticeships and higher apprenticeships
- ABC of Caring training programme
As a Therapy Assistant, you can progress into a range of roles including:
- Senior Health Care Assistant
- Central Services role e.g., training.
About Your Benefits*:
We know that happy colleagues make the best colleagues! Exemplar Health Care has a unique rewards and benefits package. So, whilst you’re busy caring for our service users, you can be assured that we’re caring for you.
Here are just a few of the ways we like to say thank you.
- Lifestyle and retail discounts at over 250 high street retailers
- Award winning 24/7 employee counselling and support service
- Paid DBS check
- Exceptional development opportunities including CPD Certificated programmes
- Fast PAYE – access your wage for additional hours worked before payday
- Blue Light Card access
- Company Shop membership
- Free uniform
About Our Values:
Our values underpin everything that we do and ensure that we continue to make every day better for our service users and colleagues. We look for these values in everyone who works with Exemplar Health Care:
Read more about our values here - https://www.exemplarhc.com/careers/our-values
Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging:
At Exemplar Health Care you will work in an inclusive environment in which we champion diversity. We understand the importance of our workforce representing the communities and populations we serve. We provide a workplace where you are encouraged to be yourself whilst offering our colleagues and our service users support, care and a place of belonging.
How to Apply:
If this role sounds like a good match for you, please contact our Recruitment Team on 01977 630 830 for an informal chat or alternatively email: Pod4@ExemplarHC.com
“There are many career opportunities at Exemplar Health Care and the support that I’ve received has been amazing. Everyone at Exemplar Health Care is committed to not only our residents, but each other. I am proud to be part of the Exemplar family.”
Nurse – Exemplar Health Care